I understand moving is a lot of work, so here's a helpful check list for moving day to make your life easier.
Send Change of Address to:
• Post office: give forwarding address.
• Credit card companies.
• Magazine/newspaper subscriptions.
• Friends and family.
• It's always a good idea to leave several large, pre-addressed, stamped envelopes with the new owners for mail that is still delivered to your previous address.
Relocation Check List:
• Go to the DMV and get a new Driver's License and State ID
• Cancel subscriptions that would not be forwarded.
• Contact your bank and get new checks with the new home address.
• Close accounts for all utilities and services at your old address as of date of closing.
• Be sure the new owner has assumed responsibility of utilities as of closing date so there is no lapse or turning off of service.
• Arrange for utilities: Water, electricity, gas, cable, internet, and telephone service at your new location.
• Empty freezer and refrigerator.
• Defrost and clean refrigerator and freezer.
• Check insurance coverage and labor costs; confirm moving day, and payment costs and method with your mover.
• Transfer your child's school records if changing schools.
• Once you are reasonably sure you will be proceeding with the sale, begin weeding out your possessions.
• Pack one room at a time, and be sure to label all boxes.
• Keep the weight of your boxes reasonable.
• Start packing and marking every box according to its contents and the room it will go in.
• If bubble wrap is not available, use towels and blankets to wrap fragile items.
• If possible, pack audio-video and computer equipment in their original boxes.
On Moving Day:
• Plan for needs of children and pets during the move
• Plan for sufficient cash/travelers checks during the move.
• Do not pack valuables, carry them with you.
• Be sure to leave all of the following for new tenant or homeowner:
1. Keys, padlock combinations, garage door openers, remote switches.
2. Codes to security system.
3. Owner's manuals for all appliances.